I want to start by saying, I have missed blogging. It gives me a chance to sit back, look at my life, and evaluate the lessons I have been taught along the way. So, I have ten minutes to write-- and I'm seizing the opportunity ;)
I applied for a Master's of Communication & Marketing, and I am excited to get started with it. I have told myself and others that I was going to go to Graduate school for years now... hopefully I can stop talking and put it to action. Waiting for acceptance...
Now, don't think for a second that I have it ALL figured out. I don't. Can I say confidently that this is the degree I think will be best for my future? No. Do I think it can help me step in the right direction? Yes. I have come to the acceptance that no one just knows exactly what/where they want to go in life. Experiences / People / Life guides you in a direction that just makes sense... however, you have to seize opportunity. You hear those people that say "I'm never going to be rich." Hey, you may not... but why already make that decision for yourself? Why not attempt to excel in your career? Why not expect your hard work to eventually pay off? When I say seize opportunity, this is what I mean: If you don't know what you want to do in your life, gain experience. Seize every opportunity that you can because those opportunities only help you decide... those opportunities can bring about an opportunity that you may have been looking for all along.
When I was in college, I didn't necessarily know where I wanted to take a Public Relations/Communication degree. Somehow I found myself accepting an unpaid position at OSUMC in Media Relations, with no thought that media, newswriting, and social media was an option for my future. I honestly accepted the position unsure of what I would be doing; I didn't know exactly what media relations even entailed. Six months later, I found myself enjoying a lot of different aspects of the position and had built a strength in writing. Since I enjoyed OSUMC, I applied for a Registration Representative and got it. Soon, I was registering patients, dealing with insurance, copayments, and financial assistance issues. This wasn't something I was necessarily interested in but by the end of my experience in that position -- I had understood the financial side of the hospital, and had built a great understanding of the admission process in areas all over the hospital. Now, I am in a professional role, utilizing the skills I learned in Media Relations, as well as Patient Access. I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go when I started those positions, but those jobs helped lead me to where I am now. I am not saying, by any means, this always works in everyone's favor. You could find out what you DONT want to do (Still a positive step). What I am saying, is every job you have in your life, has taught you something. Utilize the skills you have been taught from past positions to make you better at your next position.
Seizing opportunity. If someone offers you something, always take it. It could change your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment