Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Live YOUR Legacy

My brother posted this quote the other day, and I feel I need to share it :

‎"The amount of courage you show in life will be one of your greatest legacies. It will fill your children's hearts and minds and awaken in them their own capacity to overcome adversity". Keith Ablow, M.D.

This quote got me thinking about legacies, and how I would want to be remembered. It reminded me that everyday I am leaving an impression on someone -- whether it is a smile to a stranger or a helping hand to a friend. A small encounter can leave a huge impression. What impression do you want to leave? What is YOUR legacy?

I think it is first important to understand what a legacy is and the power that it holds. Look back at the people who have left your life and the message you received from them... the impression they left on you. There have been so many people that have left lasting impressions on me. Remember the teachers from your past and who your favorite teacher was. What made them your favorite? Who do you admire in your life and why? Have you ever smiled just from the kindness of a stranger? How did that effect you? Some people leave behind a financial legacy or a business legacy... building a business that can continue to prosper even after they are gone. Some leave a foundation of values, changing the way children in their family will raise their children. There are so many forms of legacies that can live on even when someone moves on from this life. Understanding the power of a legacy is important before you choose your own legacy. There is something inside of you that wants to be unleashed to the world. Find it. 

I want to leave a legacy of inspiration and the importance of family. I started this blog to inspire people...inspire myself. I believe the knowledge you have, you need to pass on. I hope to build confidence in others and let them know they are appreciated. I want to overuse the words, "I love you." I want to eventually be the mother that my mother is to me. A best friend. I believe the foundation of who you are is based around your family. They are your rock. My whole life I have tried hard to continue strengthening my family... to realize that it isn't blood that makes us family. It's friendship. It's love. It's a team. It's safety. I want to leave a legacy of communicating. When I was growing up, I insisted that I communicated with my parents...to talk to them about my feelings, inspirations, dreams and plans. While most hide things from their parents, I was an open book. I believe to this day, I helped my father open up. I do not think he was exposed to seeing the types of emotions I threw on him. It was real and I needed him. He could see it. Family needs one another. I believe that I changed the course of communication between my siblings. Together, we have became a team. A network that can be untouched. I hope to continue that with my own family one day. Hopefully, my children will continue that with their children. I believe that there is a domino effect, that is started with the family. You're relationship sets the tone for your future family and so on. If you communicate well in your family, you will communicate well with your partner and your own family someday. If you do not have that communication with the family you were born in, it is never to late to start it...  I want to inspire. I am sure as I have children, I will make changes to my legacy... but for now, this is the legacy I am living out. I have a direction.

 Start with the end of your life - What impression do you want to leave on others?
Then incorporate that into your life.

What do you hold inside yourself that you can show the world? Look at your strengths. What values do you hold important? What memories do you want your children to hold on to? What is your passion? Can you use that passion to inspire? This is not something I can help you determine. Once you have chosen what impression you want to leave, it is time to put it in action. Live your life according to the legacy you want to leave. You can make revisions, but find direction. It is no one's legacy but YOUR OWN....

You have the power to change the future. What change do you want to make???



1 comment:

  1. Alyssa is correct in this post. She did open our father up to communicating better. She also got our siblings to become a team together. Alyssa is very aware of ppl around her. She knows when someone hurts, is happy, is confused and pushes for them to talk about it. When we talk about it to her, there is a sense of security knowing that someone else cares about our problems and is willing to listen. Alyssa is the best sister a girl could ever ask for and I thank God everyday that shes mine. I know I say it all the time but.. I love you Alyssa! More than you will ever know and I appreciate you more and more everyday!

    ReplyDelete