Friday, March 18, 2011

Rear View Mirror

If you haven't noticed, I have stepped back from the news / daily updates of my life lately and decided to go deeper. There's messages I want to get across and I think people need to hear. This is my best opportunity for that to happen, so here it goes.

I have learned a thing or two about myself,
And learned a lot about life itself.
I’ve learned that strength comes from within,
Your mindset is the place where it can begin.

A motivation for change – an internal drive.
Your attitude changes the way you thrive.
An inspiration- a dream – a vision,
Happiness is just a simple decision.

In life, you are in the driver’s seat,
You never know what may show up on the street.
Don’t swerve to miss what comes your way,
Hit it head on, but then learn to drive away.
It’s in your rear view mirror, in the past.
It is experience that your life had surpassed.

There may be a tattoo on your heart
But an opportunity to create a new start.
Use your mirror’s reflection,
To build a new life in a better direction.

Written July 8, 2010 - by Alyssa Sims:)

I wrote this poem in a stage of my life of realization; appreciation. The walk of life isn't a yellow brick road, it is a dirt path. It's a path with no direction, no clear way to get to where you are going. It takes trial and error, a wrong turn, to know that it isn't the right way. When you are on your way somewhere and you take a wrong turn, usually you backtrack to the main road again. That's the same way life is. The trouble of getting back on that main road is finding it. The GPS we use in the car, in life- is our family and friends. You don't have to listen to your GPS, it is there for guidance. However, usually you do because it will help you find your way. I have been lost before. I have not wanted to listen to friends/family. I am back on the path I need to be and I got there from piggy-back riding off my support system back to the main road. It's hard. It's not easy by any means. Can I say I am a stronger person because of it? Yes. Those struggles and memories are in my rear view mirror. Do I know the road ahead of me? No. However, I know I will pass the road that I made the wrong turn. I won't ever take that path again. When I say, " Don’t swerve to miss what comes your way, Hit it head on, but then learn to drive away." I am not saying that the main road you are supposed to be on will be a road you can cruise on. You will have potholes and detours, things will come your way that you may not expect. It is surpassing those hardships that make you appreciate it when the road is smooth and a straight path. Hardships make the high points in life even better.

In the beginning of this poem, I talk about mindset. This has a huge part in the direction of your life. A few years ago, I started living - "Happiness is a choice." Here's why I believe this is true... Circumstances happen... lives change... but your mindset is all your control. You have the power to decide your attitude.  A few days ago, I talked about control. Control over yourself, no one else. People can disappoint you and let you down. You have control of who you allow to do so. Happiness is all in your mind. If you tell yourself you are going to have a good day, and you get a flat tire driving to work... laugh about it. What will it help to be mad, kick the car, and take it out on other people? In the end, all it does is hurt YOU. Choose otherwise. Your mindset changes your whole view of life and the direction you want to go in life. You see these people that decide in their mind, I want to run a marathon... and they do it. It can be done. It started with a motivation that turned into a decision. All choices are based around a motivation. Everyone has a story, your life is your story. You are the author. What life do you want for yourself?

The last part of this poem, I discuss the formation of who you are. Everything in your life has brought you to the person you are. You can decide whether you let those hardships get the worst of you or the best of you. Choose to use your rear view mirror reflection to guide you to where you need to be. Use it as a stepping stone. Use it as a motivation. A motivation that makes a decision. A decision that leads to happiness.

1 comment:

  1. well said Alyssa..your poem is beautiful. Thanks for helping me think about the positives in life and know that I make my own happiness. Its just going to take time for this blog to go into effect in my life. I have some changing to do. I want happiness, I thrive for it. I love you!

    ReplyDelete