Tuesday, March 8, 2011

When your "Mother Speaks..."

So, my momma isn't too thrilled about this blog idea, mostly because she believes it's dangerous. She believes people will keep up with my blog, and figure out my schedule of doing things. I agree with her to a point, but I also believe that my audience will mostly be friends/family. Nevertheless, when "Mother Speaks," gotta listen. So, I will keep fun facts, but I will mostly focus my blogs around news, topics, and my opinion on issues.

BUT.... Lent is coming up and I would like to take a second to discuss the many things I am going to try and do during it. I decided this is a perfect opportunity to kick it in gear, lose a few pounds and get in shape. SO. First things first, no more Starbucks. For many, this may be easy. For me, however, this is EXTREMELY hard. I spend $4.50 every morning before work for a Caramel Light Frappi. I can't say I buy one every day, but it's pretty close. It's caffeine in the morning, and it's good. However, it's expensive and even though it's low fat -- it is still calories. Unneeded calories. I figure just cutting that out of my daily life, I will save about $72 dollars a month. Wow. OK so that's what I'm GIVING UP for Lent. Now, what I am doing to better myself during Lent. Going to try my complete hardest to work out 4 days a week or more. NO matter what 4 days. This will be SUPER difficult for me because I don't work out too much because I feel like I have no time.. but the fact of the matter is: It doesn't take all that long. All I need is about 30-45 mins of cardio a day, and a little strength training to tone up. So, here it goes.... Wish me Luck.

By the way, If you are from the Lima Area, don't forget to stop in to Captain D's during the Lent season!

Now for a little news:
These last couple weeks, I have been shocked by the 3 different athletes that have collapsed and died from some type of heart problem. Yesterday, there was a 17 year old, rugby player that died at his match -- Stated it was a heart attack. There was also a 16 yr old, star basketball player, that died just hours after hitting the game winning shot, from a heart problem. There was an OSU Football Volunteer, 22 years old, that died a couple weeks ago while playing a pick-up basketball game. I found out later he actually went to Capital, and played football a few of the years that I cheered there. It is really sad because some of these conditions were not diagnosed beforehand. It could have changed their life by having an EKG done. For those of you that do not know, an electrocardiograph is administered to show the electric activity of the heart over time, revealing how fast your heart is beating, whether the rhythm of your heartbeat is steady or irregular, and the strength and timing of electrical signals as they pass through each part of your heart. These boys were so young. It is sad that they found out they had a heart condition when it was too late. I wonder the cost of this test, and how big of a hassle it would be to administer this test for sport's physicals? I mean, physicals are done to decide whether it is safe to participate in athletics. With as much cardio as athletes do, a healthy heart is important. Just been a few cases in the news that have made me think about my own life, my own health, and the way I live my life. There are so many health conditions I have had in the past, that I put to the side. It could ultimately save my life. I have decided to take control of my life.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/07/dad-baby-1-scratch-suv-lands-atop-crib/# - Saw this today in Fox News. Honestly, how much of a miracle is this? Could you imagine?!

Check out the Columbus Dispatch article :  http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/24/more-doctors-make-house-calls-online.html?sid=101

This is a great advancement. This actually opens the door for more people to come forward with problems and concerns because they do not have to always take the time to come in to see the doctor. Patients/Doctors can log on at their convenience. Being able to keep track of medication lists, medical history and check on blood-test/x-ray results is amazing. Even as an employee, I can log on to a site and put my information in and receive feedback on my health status based on the information and tips/advice. The technology we have now is amazing!

Ending on 3 facts about Meeeeeeeee...

1. Lately, I have lived out of a suitcase, driving somewhere every weekend - usually leaving to see family. It's stressful leaving on the weekends, but I absolutely love spending time with my family. It is my favorite thing to do, so it's worth it.

2. I stopped biting my nails. I had a terrible habit of biting my nails super short when I got nervous. Sometimes I find myself close to biting my nails when I get scared, BUT I figured out a way to stop myself. Nail Polish... try it. It's the way to break your habit:) Well, it was for me anyways!

3. My favorite actress is Kate Hudson. Not only because she is super adorable in the way she acts, but also because she represents herself well on and off the camera. I think that's important.

Well, hope everyone is having a fabulous Tuesday...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment